Tuesday, April 6, 2010

I am a tool

4-6-10

Sometimes I find that my ego gets in the way of my work. At times, I get too big for my britches or I become insecure, like a frightened child. I try to catch myself when this happens and remind myself that I am a tool, doing the best that I can, dancing as fast as I can. I give myself a kick in the butt or a hug, as needed - sometimes both.

When I undertake a project such as Veterans Portfolios it is important to me to keep mindful of the fact that in this process I am just a tool.

Much like, Gulf War Chemicals (GWC) and other projects that I have over the years given heart and soul to I find that recognizing I am merely a tool is very beneficial. While I may have given birth to the concepts – much like my children – they develop unique identities of their own My role is to do what I can to build the foundation, to the best of my ability, nurturing and loving until it stands on it’s own.

In the case of GWC I realize that if it takes as long for the VA to recognize our issue as they did for Viet Nam Veterans and Agent Orange I will be 90 years old. While I hope to be full of vim and vigor at such an age, should I be so fortunate, I doubt that I would be the best choice to carry on whatever work GWC is doing at the time. So I am building it with the intent to pass it on, if necessary.

In the case of Veterans Portfolios it is even clearer that my role may and probably should be brief as the leader. I recognize that this is a project that would be best served when being run for and by veterans. In the meantime, I will love and nurture it and hopefully lay a healthy and solid foundation for others to expand upon.

It is funny to me that “you’re a tool” is currently an insult in American slang. Although the way slang changes who knows? What are you thoughts? Are you a tool?

9 comments:

  1. Laura,
    You may be a tool in what you have created, but never forget that you are a very important tool in this creation.
    If it weren't for the spark of ideas that came to you and your heart's passion to give back to the veteran community,V.P. would not exist.You have what it takes to finish it.
    I think that it is commendable to build this project for veterans to run.
    May they not forget their founder who loved and nurtured V.P. into a living entity of it's own.

    Jean :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It occurs to me that TOOLs might be an interesting tagline for Veterans's Portfolios:

    Theater
    Of
    Operations:
    Life

    Using all your TOOLs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Jean and Lori!
    Your support means a lot. :) I like the TOOLS idea, Lori - I am thinking that might be a good blog or article.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that acronym too! Good work. That is great to be a tool, because a tool IS something useful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A tool is the greatest thing we can hope to become. It gives the power to the individual to surpass expectation and make a change to this world that needs our love. You are on a righteous path that will benifit so many. I love what you do. Do not worry about not being ready, I think many of us never fully are. Getting your ideas out there will help you shape the future of your business and life ambitions to help others. Bravo!

    Love, Halli

    ReplyDelete
  6. It always interests me how some people misconstrue words as part of fads that come and go. I, for one, would like to be a tool. I'd like to be utilized for the greater good and not only touch people's lives, but help them better themselves.

    Thank you so much for such professionalism and flow of ideas in your post! I want to write like you when I grow up. *giggle* You're such an exceptional writer, Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, blush, you all are such a boost! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. (Chaun from Bus 53) Laura I read a few of your posts, your writing style flows nicely, I was interested immediately after reading the title "I am a tool". I am so happy that school led you to this passion and the development of GWC, I have a few Veterans in my family and it is always nice to see people who appreciate the service they did for our country.

    I also enjoyed the comparison of you being a tool to build this idea, and how you compared it to how the slang and the word tool having a negative connotation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Chaun! Your comments are very nice! The posts were written a year ago and frankly I had forgotten them. It is interesting to me to see where I am at a year latter and the "I am a tool" theory is still holding true. :) Have a great time in your Bus 53 class. I really, really enjoyed it and learned a tremendous amount!! ;)

    ReplyDelete