Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Compassion, Hope, Optimism and Resilience

Compassion, Hope, Optimism and Resilience

Of the many lessons, I learned in my years as dispatcher, the ones I am most grateful for are the ability to have compassion, bring hope and feel optimism in any situation and the resilience to deal with whatever difficulties that arise. In critical incidents a dispatcher is often the first contact, and remains in contact, until rescue arrives (be it law, medical or fire). The dispatcher is present in someone’s worst moment. I live in the Tahoe National Forest area – so response time for help can be hours, dependant on location, weather and resources. In this situation, a dispatcher often “stays with” (by phone) the situation and provides instructions on how best to deal with the situation until help arrives.

The best dispatchers, in my opinion, are those who practice these traits. They develop a connection that goes far beyond the phone call. Indeed, most of these dispatchers think about (and say a prayer) for some of those involved in critical incidents for the rest of their lives.

I am reflecting on those who trained me this morning, as I do whenever I hear from a new veteran or family that is suffering with AML or some other cancer or serious illness due to chemical exposure. This morning I heard from the mother of a young veteran who was diagnosed on Monday, needless to say, they are devastated.

I have a strong sense of gratitude for the many dispatchers that I worked with over the years who taught me the art of and ability to communicate compassion, hope, optimism and resilience with their fine examples. I can hear in my mind, their loving voices, and it helps. Hugs to you all this morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment